floundering

Brian D. Stark stark at ucselx.sdsu.edu
Wed Oct 31 07:23:08 AEST 1990

After installing XENIX 2.3.1 on a 386 33mhz machine, and playing with it
awhile I have run into the following snares, and would greatly appreciate
anyones input, (Please keep it nice :-)).

1) Using a computone multi-serial (8) board we are unable to configure
   the board to accept modem dial-ins.  We have been able to set up
   dumb terminals to the board without problem.  Our XENIX documentation
   states that modem lines are only supported on COM1 and COM2.
   The Computone Documentation, believes otherwise, but hasn't
   been able to back this up yet.  If anyone familiar with Computone
   boards has any info, please let us know (an 800 # for Computone would
   be great).

2) When dialing in from COM2 our connect doesn't seem to be cycling through
   to the correct baud rate i.e. if I'm enabled at mode 2 (1200>>2400>>300)
   I can login at 1200 baud, but get garbage at 2400. I get the opposite
   results in mode 3 (2400>>300>>1200).  I've tried fiddling with the
   gettydefs file but haven't got any positive results, any suggestions?

3) I'm also having trouble accessing my DOS partition fdisk (XENIX) shows
   the partition as unknown, do I need to repartition my disk?

Thanx in advance, if you have any ideas on any of these problems (I'm
sure they can be chalked up to inexperience) please send e-mail to:

stark at ucselx.sdsu.edu

If response is great enough I will post any useful info for other novices
like myself.

Brian