many UUXQTs running at once. (semi-fix)

root root at ozdaltx.UUCP
Mon Oct 15 23:52:45 AEST 1990

I recall a recent request for help here, but I guess the original
article has expired.

With 4 news feeds, I had the problem of multiple uuxqts running at
once, really bringing the system to a crawl.  Thanks to a couple of
suggestions, i did the following:

I wrote a shell script to replace /usr/lib/uucp/uuxqt and renamed
uuxqt to uuxqt.bin.  Changing necessary permissions and ownerships.

The script is basicly-

	if test -f /usr/spool/uucp/LCK.XQT
	then exit
	else
	exec /usr/lib/uucp/uuxqt.bin
	fi
The same could be done with a C program, but the code would be much
larger than necessary.

BTW, does anyone know that the two characters in LCK.XQT represent?
Process ID perhaps?

Thanks...
     scotty
root at ozdaltx