Shared Memory on SCO Xenix

Dave Eisen dkeisen at Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU
Sun Oct 7 11:06:52 AEST 1990

In article <1589 at pscnet.UUCP> kean at pscnet.UUCP (Kean Johnston) writes:
>Please could someone clarify a point for me relating to shared memory under
>SCO Xenix, specifically Xenix/386 release 2.3.2 or 2.3.3.
>In his excelent book "Advanced Unix Programming" by Marc J. Rochkind,
>in the chapter on IPC's and shared memory he states that under Xenix, after
>having mapped a segment as shared, you have to unmap it before you can
>issue any system calls. This means that you have to keep on mapping and
>unmapping the shared data segment each time you need to make a system call.
>Is this still true of Xenix, or is the book just outdated. It WAS written
>6 years ago after all.

It's outdated. We attach a couple of segments of shared memory at the
start of essentially all of our programs and use it as ordinary memory.

if you do use it, I should mention one difficulty we've had with it.
There is a bug in the implementation of shared memory in 2.2.3 (it may
have disppeared in 2.3.2, we've never tested) forced us to allocate a few
extra bytes at the end of a shared memory segment or else accessing the
last byte caused a program crash.

--
Dave Eisen                      	    Home: (415) 323-9757
dkeisen at Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU           Office: (415) 967-5644