AAARRRRGGGG! 2.3 and DOS

root root at ozdaltx.UUCP
Sun Oct 7 09:22:02 AEST 1990

OK, SCO what seems to be the problem here?

I'm helping a(nother) client setup his 386 with DOS 4.01 and Xenix 2.3
also 386.  (Was there a sale I missed?)

I create a DOS partition on drive C: and make it active. Fdisk tells
me that the partition is there, but lables it as Type "PRI DOS". (?)

When I do the Xenix install everything is fine up to the point that
(Xenix) fdisk runs.  I get the following Partition table:

| Partition   | Status  |  Type   | Start  |  End  | Size      |
|   1         | active  | UNKNOWN |  1     |  4499 |  4499     |
(Xenix partition not shown)

Xenix installs like it should, but when dos is specified at the boot
prompt the error message says:
  dos: no dos partition.

I've used three different versions of dos, including my install
of DOS 3.2, all with the same results.  Xenix appears not to be
reading the partition table correctly - why?  Oh yeah, out of
curosity, I tried installing my 286 version of 2.2.3 xenix -
everything ran like a charm.  Is there a fix/patch or what?
C is the only drive that is formated with just the DOS OS,
D is left alone.  Either OS will run, but only by changing the active
partition.

For what it is worth, this is using another one of those humungus
hard drives - 650 meg that is split into two logical drives, C and D
on initial format (soft), C being split at 1024 cyls and the balance
going to drive D.  Could this be causing this problem?

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would want to have that large
of a single drive with everything they have on it - it would make me
very nervous to have all my "electronic eggs" in one basket. ;-)

After 3 days and countless formats later - it is  getting old real
fast.

Thanks for any help,  Please e-mail responces.
scotty
{mic | void | sulaco | egsner}!root at ozdaltx