XENIX Modem in Single-user mode

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Mon Oct 15 13:56:41 AEST 1990

In article <1799 at starfish.Convergent.COM> dick at starfish.Convergent.COM (Dick Hacking) writes:
>>Is there anyway I can get a getty to run on the modem port while the system
>>is in single-user mode ?  Walking the customer through commenting out
>>each rc.d/* entry to find the problem will be a nightmare. Dialing in
>>and looking at it myself would be much easier.
>
>Single user mode does not mean single process mode. Single user is only an
>arbitrary restriction placed on the machine by the contents of /etc/inittab.
>Therefore you can start up a new process with a command that looks exacly
>the same as the getty commands in /etc/inittab to get more gettys
>going (pun not intended :-)

this is what he wants you to do -

id:2:initdefault:
rc:Ss2:wait:/etc/rc < /dev/console > /dev/console 2>&1
co:Ss:wait:/bin/su - root < /dev/console > /dev/console 2>&1
01:12:respawn:/etc/twwgetty tty01 m	# Screen 1
d1:12:respawn:/etc/getty tty1A v	# Everex MNP Modem
d2:2:respawn:/etc/getty tty2A v	# Everex Modem

the modem in the d1 entry will enabled during run-levels 1 and 2,
but not run-level s.  the d2 entry is turned off in run-level 1.
you could also create a run-level 3 for the "su" and modem on
at the same time.

you could even create a run-level to play the game of life.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson