Maintenance free UUCP

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Sun Oct 21 14:56:54 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct17.071310.23746 at Neon.Stanford.EDU> dkeisen at Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Dave Eisen) writes:

| Is UUCP reliable enough to run without an on-site administrator to monitor it?

  I'll take a stab at that one and say yes. However, you will have to
configure it to be run that way. That means to send mail to someone if
it finds a problem, to have shells which do cleanup (not the standard
SCO stuff, please), etc.

  I have several systems which run themselves when I'm away, and do a
good job of it.

  The real question is if any system can be operated without an
administrator, and I submit that answer is no. Someone has to read the
mail, take the dumps, etc. The person does not need to be expert, just
dedicated enough to do simple things as instructed by a mail message
"put the Monday tape in the drive before going home!"
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX