VP/ix woes

David Fiedler david at infopro.UUCP
Thu Oct 11 17:20:57 AEST 1990

In article <4865 at crash.cts.com>, jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
> kirkenda at eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Steve Kirkendall) writes:
> >Some specific questions: Is VP/ix more reliable under SCO Xenix? Or Interactive
> >UNIX?  Is anybody out there happy with VP/ix?
>
> My understanding is that SCO has started to use DOSMerge as opposed to VP/ix
> with SCO Unix.  VP/ix does work fine under SCO Xenix and Interactive 386/ix
> (remember, VP/ix is an Interactive product).  See if you can send the VP/ix
> back for DOSMerge.

I'm not so sure about this. My understanding is that DOS/Merge is for the
Open Desktop product *only*, even though Open Desktop (ODT) is based on SCO UNIX
(as an aside, the current version of SCO UNIX is 3.2.2 but ODT is based on
3.2.1; they will be syncronized in the future).

> Also, go into vpixadm and comment out the EXTENDED parameter for the users'
> VP/ix environment.  For some reason, VP/ix seems to flake out when you tell it
> you have an extended keyboard.  This MAY solve your problem.  But if that
> doesn't do it, I'd suggest going out and trying to get DOSMerge for SCO Unix.

This is true. However, I suspect that Steve's problems have more to do
with not enough memory (I would say 4 MB is the absolute minimum; that's
what I have) and partly due to having a brain-damaged 386sx processor.

Another factor may be the release version. I just got my updates from SCO last
week, and got SCO UNIX 3.2.2s and VP/IX 1.2.0n. My previous version of
VP/ix was 1.2f, and there is a *substantial* improvement, even though the
release number has not changed, just the letter at the end. Even with all
the caveats I've mentioned, I've had VP/ix running for years (literally)
with major applications such as Ventura Publisher (yes, even with a bus
mouse), and a database with 45,000 names. Before I ran it under SCO
UNIX, I used Xenix.

I run *everything* from the UNIX prompt, but it works just as well to type
"dos" (the obvious alias for "vpix") and then the commands, as if you're
sitting at a regular PC. I have all the DOS applications installed to the
UNIX partition, where they can be backed up with the regular UNIX files.
Most software runs faster than under native DOS.

I think Steve needs another 2 MB of RAM and maybe an
experienced look at his software installation.
--
David Fiedler {ames,mrspoc,pyramid,hoptoad}!infopro!david
USMail:InfoPro Systems, PO Box 220 Rescue CA 95672 Phone:916/677-5870 FAX:-5873