Calling out on a modem...

Alan H. Mintz alan at mq.COM
Mon Oct 1 06:30:09 AEST 1990

In article <2417 at gmuvax2.gmu.edu>, jnorman at gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Sci-Fi) writes:
> I recently became root on a 386 Xenix system with a DigiBoard
> installed...   (added 8 com ports)...   They work fine as incoming
> lines,  but if I try to call out on them, I either get errors, or loss
> the Term Ready signal on the modem...   So comes the question...
>
> How do I configure a port for calling out or, better yet, calling out
> and receiving calls?

I have seen the same problem with a number of intelligent I/O boards. The
solution is to use the non-modem-control device for calling out. Naturally,
you need to write a script to disable the modem-control device, do the
cu, and then enable the modem-control device.

Two different serial-board mfrs have claimed that this is a "bug" in the
combination of HDB uucp and XENIX and they have no way around it.
--
< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034       >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995       >