Problem with vi screen updates

root root at ozdaltx.UUCP
Tue Oct 9 02:56:14 AEST 1990

I'm havn't played with vi on a 386, but the 286 version also shows the
same problem.  If you use the arrow key rather than j,k,l,h to
position the cursor, you shouldn't have this problem.  I believe the
termcap defs for vt terms and ansi both output an \E[ sequence then
the arrow keys are used.  ESC, to vi, is used to take you out of
update mode.  If your keyboard has repeat, I suspect what happens is
that vi's command buffer can't catch up with the strings that contain
ESC characters and it changes modes on you or you get the beeps.

I just hit the arrow keys for each movement I need, that seems to
work.
     Hope this helps some -
Scotty

AIDS INFORMATION EXCHANGE BBS      (214) 247-2367/247-5609
               "Education is the best weapon"
{mic,void,egsner}!ozdaltx!sysop || {uunet,smu,ames}!sulaco!ozdaltx!sysop