VP/ix woes

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Mon Oct 8 13:16:07 AEST 1990

kirkenda at eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Steve Kirkendall) writes:
>Some specific questions: Is VP/ix more reliable under SCO Xenix? Or Interactive
>UNIX?  Is anybody out there happy with VP/ix?

My understanding is that SCO has started to use DOSMerge as opposed to VP/ix
with SCO Unix.  VP/ix does work fine under SCO Xenix and Interactive 386/ix
(remember, VP/ix is an Interactive product).  See if you can send the VP/ix
back for DOSMerge.

Also, go into vpixadm and comment out the EXTENDED parameter for the users'
VP/ix environment.  For some reason, VP/ix seems to flake out when you tell it
you have an extended keyboard.  This MAY solve your problem.  But if that
doesn't do it, I'd suggest going out and trying to get DOSMerge for SCO Unix.

Note that you still can use an extended keyboard if you lie to VP/ix about it.

That's the only problem I've encountered with VP/ix.  One more thing, if your
DOS application is not well behaved or does low level operations such as talk
to the hard drive controller directly, etc. don't expect it to work under
VP/ix.  Copy protected programs are a toss up if they'll install and run under
VP/ix.  A virtual DOS machine will never be exactly functionally identical to
machine running only MS-DOS.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca