SCO Xenix and Orchid ProDesigner II

Irwin M. Fargo fargo at iear.arts.rpi.edu
Mon Oct 29 07:46:41 AEST 1990

I use SCO Xenix 286 v2.2.1 on a Zenith Z-248-12 with an Orchid ProDesigner II
video board.  Or to be more exact, I don't.

When I try to boot Xenix, I get the "Boot:" line.  When I hit return, though,
the Orchid changes video modes (640x480 I believe) and then reboots my system.

I called Orchid Technologies about it and they said to play around with the
jumpers.  I tried such and nothing worked.  I then called SCO, who eventually
said that I'd have to pay a $100 for one-time tech-support or $500 for a year.

After that phone call, I plugged in my old Video 7 EGA Deluxe and bingo!
Xenix booted fine.

I'd like to know, though, if anyone has been able to get Xenix 2.2.1 to work
with a ProDesigner II?  Or am I stuck having to use my EGA card everytime I
want to run Xenix?

BTW, I tried booting Xenix from the hard drive and from the install floppy.

Thank you and happy hunting!		Actually: Ethan M. Young
"If Linus looked like Worf, would you	Internet: fargo at iear.arts.rpi.edu
 try to take his blanket away?"		Bitnet (??): usergac0 at rpitsmts.bitnet
	- dorsai at pawl.rpi.edu		Disclaimer: Who said what?