Problems with guest login script

John P. Gibbons jtb at abode.UUCP
Wed Oct 10 22:44:47 AEST 1990

 Hi friends..

      On our system we grant shell (sh) accounts for various people for
use with usenet news and mail etc.. Currently we have no way for any user
to "login new" so to speak. We HAD a guest login script that would ask the
user for various information and then mail root with the information in order
for us to setup a login ID. But we had a lot of problems with it. And now we
can't get it to work at all.

  What we did was have the guest accounts login shell be the actual script
file instead of rsh or sh (etc) and once the script completed it would log
the user off and we had no security problems. But of course it NEVER worked
correctly. Xenix won't allow the script to send mail, and won't allow the
script to direct to /dev/null which, of course, are both problems.

  If anyone has successfully gotten such a beast to work, I would be VERY
greatful if you could EMAIL me the script (along with any specific info or
instructions for its use).

  If nobody HAS such a script any idea on how to get one to work, (maybe a
small example that actually sends mail to root) would be great too, then I
could write my own.

  btw, to avoid confusion, I want to clarify a few things regarding the
problem. If I am to run the script once logged in using sh then it runs fine,
but will not run if executed as the guest logins shell. Giving the guest
login a shell account and executing the script from the .profile will work,
but once the script is done/aborted they get full sh access. Not good. We
COULD use rsh, but we haven't tried, and more importantly it again would give
more access than we would wish to grant to new users. We just want an online
application so to speak..

At any rate, I truely hope someone here can help, please direct replies to
email, and of course as usual if requested I could post a summery of replies.

Take Care,
John P. Gibbons
Internet: jtb at abode.wciu.edu
    UUCP: uunet!elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov!wciu!abode!jtb
--
  //   John P. Gibbons      uucp: ..!uunet!elroy!wciu!abode!jtb
\X/    El Monte, Ca     Internet: jtb at abode.wciu.edu
"From the moment I could talk, I was ordered to listen." -- Cat Stevens