Calling out on a modem...

Alan H. Mintz alan at mq.com
Fri Oct 5 11:37:29 AEST 1990

In article <13261 at ists.ists.ca>, aronb at gkcl.ists.ca (Aron Burns) writes:
> In article <91 at mq.COM> alan at mq.COM (Alan H. Mintz) writes:
> >solution is to use the non-modem-control device for calling out. Naturally,
> >you need to write a script to disable the modem-control device, do the
> >cu, and then enable the modem-control device.
>
> this will only work if you know in advance which tty will be used.  In the
> case of pooled modems, you don't know in advance ( you could find out with
> uustat and awk... what a kludge )
>
> a cleaner solution is to obtain an intelligent card that supports
> in/out dialing on the same port.  I know for a fact that Equinox Megaport
> does this, and am told the the Specialix card will as well.  The Computone
> ( driver version 4.40, firmware 3.14 ) does not.  it appears that
> -most- do not...based on previous discussions.

True. The Specialix card does correctly support dialin/out on the same
line, as long as you do "cu 12135551212". The part that does not work
is "cu -lttyxx dir" - DTR flashes and you get Connect with an immediate
Disconnect. Neither SCO nor Specialix know why it works for dialing a number
but not for a direct to the modem.

(Please forgive if I said this before - I think it was only in email).
--
< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034       >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995       >