Garbled output installing xenix

Matt Richmond MSR113 at psuvm.psu.edu
Wed Apr 24 03:11:35 AEST 1991

Hi all..  I am running a 386SX compatible with a Trident 8800 series
video card and Imtec 1453Q monitor.  I recently bought a used version
of xenix (I got 286 version because, you guessed it, it was CHEAP!  :-)
Anyways, on installation, the BOOT: prompt comes up fine, but then
when I press return like the manual says, and it *should* be doing
a hardware check, a bunch of garbage flashes across the screen and
it makes weird noises.  I read through the Troubleshooting section
and it said the most likely cause of this is an incompatible video
card, and Trident is NOT listed under the compatible list.. :(
My question is this, has anyone else had this problem with Trident
cards and if so, how did you fix it?   Any help would be greatly
appreciated..  Thanks much!!

--Matt
#include <standisc.h>                      MSR113 at PSUVM.PSU.EDU
                                           richmond at barad-dur.endor.cs.psu.edu
"That which does not kill us,              mattsr at vivaldi.psu.edu
 makes us strong."  --from Conan the Barbarian