Best way to backup SCO Xenix/UNIX

Louis Schmittroth louis at cs.athabascau.ca
Mon Apr 8 02:47:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr7.044627.5298 at ucselx.sdsu.edu>, aty at ucselx.sdsu.edu (young a t) writes:
> In article <5664 at vela.acs.oakland.edu> srodawa at vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) writes:
> >In article <1991Apr3.121959.627 at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca> curt at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt J. Sampson) writes:
> >>I think that cpio is the best of the standard utilities for backup for
> >>the following reasons:
> >>
> 	(much stuff deleted)

I run Xenix 2.3.2 hare at home as a personal computer.  For what it's
worth, here is my experience with backups.  First I installed a Colorado
Jumbo tape system, and had both hardware and software problems.  So, I
went to Archive, and have been very happy.

About a year or so ago I bought CTAR, a commercial tar system what also
backs up special device files.  This has worked flawlessly.  About 6
months or so ago, I added a second disk to my controller.  Instead of
re-installing I was able to use the file system recovery diskettes from
the CTAR system to restore.  I am a great fan of CTAR.  Microlite Corp.
1021 Sutherland Street Pittsburgh, PA 15204.  412-771-4901.