booting DOS on ISC+SCO, and DOS filesys handling (long-ish)

John J. Rushford Jr jjr at rushpc
Sat Apr 27 15:35:46 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr24.074220.17639 at jet.uucp> cm at jet.uucp (colin manning) writes:

>Anyway, I'd be interested in information on any of the following. I'll
>post a summary in due course if there's sufficient interest.
>
>1. Is it possible to have an easy way of selecting between booting DOS
>   or Unix on an ISC system, without having to remember to use fdisk
>   every time to change the active partition ? Ideally the source to
>   a boot program that could be put on a primary DOS partition would
>   be nice (like the one I use with SCO).

I'd be interested in the answer to this for AT&T SVR3.2 also.  I'm not too
keen on using 'fdisk' to switch active partitions anymore.  Recently I
used DOS 'fdisk' to switch the active partition from DOS to UNIX.  After
re-booting I found that 30,000 blocks of free space had disappeared from
the root filesystem.  I'm not positive but, I suspect that DOS 'fdisk'
had something to do with it.  I could not fix it using 'fsck'.  I poked
around in the superblock with 'fsdb' but found nothing.  I ended up
reformating the disk and loading from backups.
--

John
----