Problems setting up TCP/IP (short version!)

Joel Swan swan at pws.bulL.com
Tue Apr 2 23:46:19 AEST 1991

rpinder at phad.hsc.usc.edu (Rich Pinder) writes:

>Card passes the WD diagnostics as setup.  We've deleted and installed the
>drivers and mkdev'd tcp several times to verify all our settings.  Tested
>on a wide area net as well as a single run between this machine and a pc -
>no luck.  Right after installation, pinging localhost works fine, and
>netstat looks good.  Then, over night (with no other processes running) I
>run netstat -i again, and nothing. (command actually hangs).  And pinging
>localhost does not work.

We ran into a similiar problem awhile back.  You should contact SCO to
get the latest WD driver.  The version you have sounds like a problem that
was fixed a few months ago.  Descriptions of SCO's fixes to the driver
follow:

   Essentially, both are software workarounds for hardware problems.  In
   the first, under very heavy receive load, the WD card can lose an xmit
   interrupt.  Since there is only a single xmit buffer, the loss of this
   interrupt hangs the xmit side of the driver.  We put in a watchdog
   timer to check for the condition, reset the board, and get things going
   again.

   The second problem was that in very rare conditions, the board can put a
   bogus value into the nxtpg field tof the packet header it delivers to the
   driver.  The driver contains a validity check on this field, but the test
   was insufficient, and even if it did find something wrong, the recovery
   code was incorrect.

Hope it works for you.  Good luck.

--
  Joel M. Swan              Bull Worldwide Information Systems, Inc.
  swan at pws.bull.com           900 Middlesex Turnpike - Building 2