Autoboot on Xenix

Curt Sampson curt at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca
Tue Apr 16 15:00:40 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr13.132140.1794 at cmllab.rgb.sub.org>
  macleod at cmllab.rgb.sub.org (Connor MacLeod) writes:

> So... If this is right what about creating a link /dev/scratch -> /dev/swap?
> I don't think that /dev/swap is used during autoboot (am I wrong?).

You may be right, but why risk it?  /dev/swap is used by the OS
whenever it needs it when the OS is running, whether during boot or
not.  Now, if you've got any reasonable amount of memory it is highly
unlikely that you would swap anything during the boot.  But you might.
If it does swap, it's guarenteed to crash your system and it will
quite possibly corrupt your root filesystem.

I'd advise just keeping your root filesystem small.  The only reason
mine is 25 MB is because I don't keep a seperate partition for my /pub
directory.  (I've got complete control over what goes in there, so I
don't need to worry about overflow.)  Under Xenix, a 12 MB or so root
should be plenty (assuming seperate /tmp, /usr, /u, etc.).

cjs
--
curt at cynic.uucp         | all systems in the network is not known anywhere."
curt at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca |    --Berkeley Mail Reference Manual (Kurt Schoens)