WARNING: SCO-Xenix game "hack", setuid root

Weaver Hickerson wdh at holos0.uucp
Tue Apr 23 23:39:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr18.233851.29567 at NCoast.ORG> allbery at ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) writes:
>As quoted from <1991Apr17.192850.10450 at odbffm.incom.de> by oli at odbffm.incom.de (Oliver Boehmer):
>+---------------
>| When I recently went through the setuid-files on my system, I found, that
>| /usr/games/lib/hackdir/hack (the actual nethack-program) is setuid-root.
>| This version is part of SCO-XENIX Games and was installed with this
>| permissions by the SCO-Utility custom.
>+---------------
>
>Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak.  I've heard of stupid security holes, but that one has
>to take the cake.
>
>++Brandon

We don't have any of the games here but, I was wondering, is it perhaps
possible that we have something like a:

switch((pid=fork()))
{
case 0:
setuid(saveduid)
exec(...)
exit(-1)

 blah blah
}
In other words, the shell escape is NOT root and never will be.  That's prolly
the way I would do it.

Oh well, what the hack!

Weaver
--
-Weaver Hickerson   Voice (404) 496-1358   :  ..!edu!gatech!holos0!wdh