need programmer's editor

Ralph Roberts robertsr at cs.unca.edu
Tue Apr 16 23:15:20 AEST 1991

In article <26391 at hydra.gatech.EDU> gt8963a at prism.gatech.EDU (MCCARTNEY,JEFFREY ELWOOD) writes:
>I need a simple, easy-to-use programmer's editor for sco xenix.
>Low price is a necessity.  I hear EMACS is excellent but expensive.
>
>Anything public domain or shareware?  Thank you.

There are several excellent Emacs which are free. On Xenix I recommend either
MicroEmacs (now in version 3.10) or, if you want the ultimate, GNU Emacs.
Sources for both are around in a wide number of places.

Freemacs, the closest possible emulation of GNU Emacs in the DOS *shudder*
world, also works fine under VPIX.

GNU Emacs works very well on my Xenix 2.3.3 system, so I see no reason to
go for a "simple" editor when you can have it all ;-).

Oh, and as to commercial implementations of Emacs, both Epsilon (Ligaru)
and Unipress offer versions for Xenix that are not all that expensive
when compared to most software in the Unix world.

Hope that helped.... My summation is go to the trouble of finding and
compiling GNU Emacs, it's well worth the effort.

               --Ralph