SCO and Internet

Ralf U. Holighaus ralfi at pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de
Mon Apr 29 19:16:23 AEST 1991

tortajad at sunny9.DAB.GE.COM (Robert Tortajada) writes:

>I am thinking of setting up a SCO system. I have the following equipment:

>	386 25 MHZ
>	8 Meg ram (Max for board)
>	335 MB ESDI  32k Cache Card
>	Diamond Speedstar VGA (1 meg)
>	Goldstar 14" 1024 X 768 monitor

>What I need to know is this.

>1. Is this enough hardware to run Xwindows single user.

Barely yes. A few Megs more of memory, and you would be really happy.

>2. Is X windows usable on a 14" monitor?

Yes, quiet nicely. You can even define a 'virtual screen' bigger than
the physical screen and then scoll.

>3. Is it possible to get on this network (news and email) from home?

Yes. The news binaries are completely and free available from SCO or
your dealer as a SLS (Support Level Supplement). Email works very nice
with MMDF.

>4. Can I run a bbs so other users can get on the News & Email?

'Course you can.

>P.S. I have never set up a unix system before, but I guess SCO would be the
>     software of choice.

Should be no problem, if you know a bit about UNIX.

Regards

Ralf.
--
  PEM Programmentwicklungsgesellschaft    |         Ralf U. Holighaus
        fuer Microcomputer mbH            |         Technical Support