xnx155b munges uucp system names

Chip Rosenthal chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM
Sun Apr 28 08:10:45 AEST 1991

In article <1320 at bbx.basis.com> russ at bbx.basis.com (Russ Kepler) writes:
>I just installed xnx155b and found, to my distaste, that SCO has
>managed to attempt to limit all outgoing and incoming system names to
>7 characters.  [...] Am I alone in being all pissed off 'cause
>I had to changes Systems, Permissions, half of /usr/lib/news, etc.?

Possibly - I have no idea why you had to change all that stuff.

Yeah, the truncation is a pain in the butt if you happen to run a
machine with a name like...well...say for example...`chinacat'.  The
day I installed xnx155b my uucp connections started gagging saying `I
don't know you.'

In the end, I only had to change two things to get around the truncation.
First, I had to put `MYNAME=chinacat' in all the Permissions entries.
Second, my script which creates `C.sitenamn0000' files to force a poll
had to be modified.

But even with uucp neighbors like `cs.utexas.edu' everything else
continued to work fine.

I actually spent a little time looking at the uucico binary, and found
the strncpy() which appears to truncate the local sitename.  In the
end, I thought it was better and easier to just use MYNAME= (which is
not subject to 7-char truncation) rather than patch the uucp binaries.

Has anybody out there running 2.3.4 seen if this feature has been fixed?
--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |
Unicom Systems Development    |    I saw Elvis in my wtmp file.