The swich with dailight savings time

John Palmer jp at tygra.UUCP
Tue Apr 9 17:37:15 AEST 1991

In article <9 at phlpa.UUCP> scott at phlpa.UUCP (Scott Scheingold) writes:
>I have noticed that some of my cron jobs are running an hour later
>than they are normally run. Example uucp.cleanup is supposed to
>run at 23:45 but it is running at 00:45 instead. This has occured
>since the swich to EDT. The system swiched the time on sunday
>just like we would change the clocks automaticly. Now not all the
>jobs are running late just some. Have I come across a bug with
>SCO UNIX SYS V/386 Rel. 3.2.2. Or is there something that I should
>do to get things back on track (besides a reboot of the system).
>I was supprised when I found the clock had changed. I am just glad
>that I didn't have anything of real importance that needed to be
>run at a specific time. My next question would be when we switch
>back to EST will this become a problem once again.

HA! You're lucky. You have SCO UNIX! We XENIX people have to put up
with cron stopping altogether. It gets messed up by the switch to
EDT and just stops working. The cron process doesn't die or print any
error message, it just sits there looking stupid.

Oh, and XENIX cron doesn't respond to SIGHUP by reading the cron files
again. If you update anything in /usr/spool/cron/crontabs, you have to
kill the current cron and start a new one. Maybe SCO should fix this.

--
CAT-TALK Conferencing System   |  "Buster Bunny is an abused | E-MAIL:
+1 313 343 0800 (USR HST)      |   child. Trust me - I'm a   |  jp at tygra.UUCP