XENIX, VP/ix, and the WD7000

Michael Stefanik mike at bria.UUCP
Sat Apr 27 14:58:04 AEST 1991

Over the past year or so, we have been installing systems with SCO XENIX
with the WD7000-FAST controller, and VP/ix.  We (thankfully) have a
small number of clients with this configuration, but the ones that are
out there are having a rather consistent problem: accessing the floppy
(which is on the WD) from within VP/ix will _sometimes_ causes a trap,
panic, and instant death.  Note that the XENIX DOS tools (ala doscp, etc.)
do not cause this problem, and as noted above, it is not consistent
(although, it does _seem_ to happen more frequently when formatting a
floppy from within VP/ix, rather than just moving data on and off the
diskette).

I have heard mumblings that WD had problems with the floppy, but has
since corrected them.  SCO has said that it was indicative of a memory
problem, but had no real answers or suggestions.  Of course, I would
prefer to see 'em all dump this DOS garbage in the trash where it belongs,
but until I own the company ... :-)

Any suggestions?
--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc, Los Angeles | Opinions stated are never realistic
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike