Node name for Xenix 2.3.3

WSHB Operations Eng michaelb at wshb.csms.com
Tue Apr 30 05:22:51 AEST 1991

I have a problem I don't really understand. I have installed a database
package on my machine - an AST 386 with 9 meg ram and a 300 meg drive -
under SCO Xenix 2.3.2 upgraded to 2.3.3 with the xnx155b from the sosco
machine. The new package required that the node name be set in the kernal.
I tried using /usr/sys/conf/configure to add the node name, but something
broke and configure died doing some kind of assembly. I found that an entry
for node name of wshb was in /usr/sys/conf/xenixconf, but wasn't  sure
that was the only change which needed to occur. I retried configure
in an attempt to remove the node name, but it took my null entry as
accepting the default, ie. the currently installed name. Well, I edited
/usr/sys/conf/xenixconf by hand to remove the node name and reran configure
to set it to wshb again. Configure bombed again.

After such a frustrating time I looked around the directory and noticed
a makefile. As it seemed to call cc to rebuild space.o I decided
this is the assemble that had bombed during configure and tried running
make. The assembler appeared to fire up and run correctly, producing a
new space.o. (What does space.o have to do with the node name?)

After this I ran link_xenix. Well, the new kernal is about 85K smaller the the
old kernal. I can't see what's missing. I looked at the ld command and it
appears all of the drivers were called during the relink. I did a strings
on both the old kernal and the new kernal and found lots of references to
baud rates were missing in the new kernal. Here is a diff between the strings:

1c1
< G;=P'
---
> G;=0O
18a19
> unknown
21d21
< unknown
38a39
> wshb
916,946d916
< error log overflow
< error log buffer overflow
< B110
< B134
< B150
< B300
< B600
< B1200
< B2400
< B4800
< B9600
< EXTA
< EXTB
< PARENB
< PARODD
< CSTOPB
< Diskinfo table overflow
< disk
< type=%s unit=%d cyls=%d hds=%d secs=%d
< Invalid partition sector on hard disk
< on fixed disk ctlr=%d dev=%u/%u block=%D cmd=%x
< status=%x, sector=%D, cylinder/head = %d/%d
< Can't exec /etc/init
< /dev/console
< page table under page table?
< called to load impure 386
< impcode
< more than 1 data segment?
< impcode
< invalid page (%x, %x)
< preload

The thing I don't understand is that everything seems to work OK.

Thanks,
Michael
--
Michael Batchelor--Systems/Operations Engineer #compliments and complaints
WSHB - An International Broadcast Station of   #   letterbox at csms.com
 The Christian Science Monitor Syndicate, Inc. #technical questions and reports
michaelb at wshb.csms.com         +1 803 625 4880 #   letterbox-tech at csms.com