Lan Manager/X

Jim O'Connor jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Fri Feb 1 08:46:02 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan30.083638.7233 at actrix.gen.nz>, paul at actrix.gen.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:

> As for LM/X for 386 platforms, I believe that SCO will be bundling
> this with future releases, letting HP concentrate on LM/X for its
> HP-UX and MPE/XL platforms.

The SCO LM/X has been announced, but somehow I doubt SCO will "bundle" it
with anything, except maybe the ODT Server upgrade, which may begin to
justify the price being charged for it.

> The other factor is that LM/X is now officially in OSF/1 (Operating
> System of the Future? :-), which makes a lot of sense.

That sounds encouraging!

> True.  You might try asking a bit harder next time!  Why, they even
> do site wiring, PC LAN cards, 10-Base-T test equipment, SNMP
> LANalysers, and all sorts of nice goodies!

I knew about most of that other stuff.  One of our Ahlstrom sister companies
(Pyropower in San Diego) just had HP do a brand new building in UTP/10baseT
wiring.  Word is they did a good job, but that it was expensive! Hopefully,
the adage "you get what you pay for" is really true. :-)

> I've been using LM/X quite a bit.  I like the HP_UX end, but the PC
> end sucks, due to memory limitations.  I believe this will be fixed
> in the LOOOONG awaited next release (LM 1.1?)

I agree.  We've struggled quite a bit trying to get LM on the PC's and
get enough memory left for the PC to do something besides just talk to
the network. :-)
James B. O'Connor			jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651