Problems with troff output on a laser printer

Michael S. Lueke mikel at taumet.com
Tue Feb 5 05:48:05 AEST 1991

chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:

>In article <3026 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>>In article <2984 at hsi86.hsi.com> rao at hsi86.hsi.com (Ananth Rao) writes:
>>| Has anyone got 'troff' to work with a laser printer, specifically the
>>| HP Laserjet III?
>>  I think jetroff does this [...]

>Not quite.  Jetroff requires DIT (device independant troff) input.  There
>is a `CAT2dit' utility in one of the comp.sources archives which does
>translate C/A/T to dit, so in theory you could stuff it between SCO's
>troff and jetroff.  In practice, the results are unacceptable.  The problem
>is that troff makes it's decisions based upon font metrics on the C/A/T
>typesetter, and this give very goofy looking results on a LaserJet.

>> [...] I know you can use the ELAN Eroff package and get great results
>>doing this.

I went through all this mess about 6 months ago.  The best solution, and
cheapest, was to purchase a package called "Leverage Programmable
Publishing System" from Urban Applied Science.  It includes a ditroff with
commonly used macros, a jetroff which is already ported to Xenix and some
interesting graphs you can make - which I don't use.  It costs about
$250 and it works just fine.  I don't have to think about it. However,
I'm not sure if the jetroff has been upgraded to include the Laserjet III
features.  You can reach them at:

	{attmail,uunet}!urban!sales
	(201) 242-7230

I'm also not sure what the current price is for Xenix.

--
	Michael S. Lueke
	TauMetric Corporation, San Diego
	mikel at taumet.com