ODT Package What di you think?

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Mon Feb 11 04:05:38 AEST 1991

In article <2269 at otc.otca.oz> alexk at otc.otca.oz.au (Alex Kowalenko) writes:

| How good is it?

|   Is the SCO Unix compilant to SYSV3.2 can you get things like some
|   of the GNU software to compile OK

  The GNU stuff can be compiled, but you can probably get most of it
ready to run if you have ftp. The only hangup is the security in ODT,
which interferes with some fast and loose system administration
practices.

  The development set has both the SCO and AT&T C compilers, the SCO one
will cross compile to Xenix{2,3}86, OS/2, and DOS. I find that very
useful.

|   How's the Ingres database.

  Rudimentary.

| It looks like a nice package to play around with Unix/X11/Ingres at
| home for a sort of at home price.

  It comes with X11R3. You can get X11R4 (patches to make it work were
posted to comp.sources.x) and you may be able to get a drop in version
via ftp. Rowell's server runs on it, that's nice. The ODT development
set has MOTIF, and you can get Athena widgets by signing a
non-disclosure (yes, on public domain software) or just compiling
everything yourself.

  For a home hacking, playing, learning system I might go with Dell V.4.
It has newer, better, more complete versions of X stuff, includes lots
of stuff like GNUemacs and C news, has DOSmerge, and the price is about
the same. I hope to find a good way to add the SCO development set to it
without losing the V.4 stuff, so I can cross compile things.

  If anyone has done this, please let me know.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX