SCO Xenix mail aliaes

Glen glen at sungate.UUCP
Sat Feb 16 02:02:00 AEST 1991

In <4596 at peora.sdc.ccur.com>, tran at peora.sdc.ccur.com (Nhan Tran) writes:
>   I'm using SCO Xenix v2.3 and try to set up a system wide alias.
>   In /usr/lib/mail, there is 2 files: faliases and maliases
>   I put into these files something like:
>       group: user1 user2 ...
>   However when I send mail to group, it goes to first name in the list only.
>   What am I doing wrong here ?

Actually, you do not want either of these files.  You want the aliases file,
and need to use it as described below.

The maliases file is for machines aliases, and is used primarily in a micnet
system to allow mail routing between systems.

The faliases file is for temporary forwarding aliases, and is for temporary
in- or out-of-system forwarding.

The file you want to use is the aliases file, which does not exist, since
it comes in hased form.  You have the format for the aliases file correct,

all: user1 user 2 user3 ...
group: user2 user3

and so on.  You must be the super user to create the file.  Set owner and
group to 3 (bin), and permissions to 00644.  Then, cd to the /usr/lib/mail
directory and run:

	./aliashash ./aliases

to create the hashed version of the file.  This will update aliases.hash
and put your system into effect.

Hope this helps!
--
Glen Barney 301-330-4700                The beach is not just a place