Help on SCO Xenix

Jim Morton [ext 237] jim at applix.com
Thu Feb 28 03:35:28 AEST 1991

In article <91058.011828JLA103 at psuvm.psu.edu>, JLA103 at psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> Is there anyway to get sco xenix 386 to boot up / install on a 286?  i have
> tried just about everything.  Am I overlooking something?

short answer: Yes! You can't do that!
long answer: The 386 chip, and therefore 386 Xenix, has instructions and
registers that don't even exist on a 286 chip, so there is no way to run
386 instructions on a 286 machine. You may want to consider something like
an Intel Inboard-386 that is a card that goes into a 286-AT slot, with a
cable that plugs into the 286 chip socket and turns the machine into a
386-AT machine. Be forewarned though that there are some slight compatibility
problems with Inboard-386's, and there is a limit as to how much 32-bit
memory you can put on the Inboard (3 meg, I think). I have run 386 Xenix on
two Inboard-386's with only one issue: the BIOS-level system reset that
gets triggered by "haltsys" (or CTRL-ALT-DEL in DOS) doesn't work - you have
to power cycle the machine.
--
Jim Morton, Applix Inc., Westboro, MA
...uunet!applix!jim    jim at applix.com