RLL controller with SCO Xenix

WSHB Operations Eng michaelb at wshb.csms.com
Sat Mar 30 04:56:11 AEST 1991

HELP!!

I'm trying to change an SCO XENIX system to some RLL disks and am having
a hell of a time. The system is SCO XENIX 2.3.2 with a Western Digital
WD1006V-SR2 with two Microscience HH-1120 RLL disks. Things keep blowing
up by destroying everything on head 6. I have tried it with a Seagate
4144R with the same results. I also tried the setup with an old Miniscribe
drive with only 4 heads and things fly right. (Except that I can't really
use the system because the drive is so small.) I am about to condemn the
WD1006V-SR2. I can't find anything wrong with anything else. The system
runs fine with a DPT cached ESDI card and an ESDI drive. I haven't tried
it with an MFM setup. (Besides, I have these two RLL drives that need to be
doing something useful.) Does anyone have any suggestions (besides abandon
MFM - I alrady have the drives.) I know people have used Xenix with RLL
drives and controllers. What kind of controller works well. What should
I avoid. (WD1006 I already know about - the hard way.)

Thanks for any advice and pointers.

Michael
--
Michael Batchelor--Systems/Operations Engineer #compliments and complaints
WSHB - An International Broadcast Station of   #   letterbox at csms.com
 The Christian Science Monitor Syndicate, Inc. #technical questions and reports
michaelb at wshb.csms.com         +1 803 625 4880 #   letterbox-tech at csms.com