Open Desktop on a notebook computer?

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Tue Mar 26 03:31:04 AEST 1991

saarenmaa at cc.helsinki.fi writes:

>I could find some use for Open Desktop running on my Compaq LTE386sx notebook
>computer.  With 10 Meg cached RAM and a 63 MB hard disk it just might
>work.  What about the Xircom net adapter?
>I know, this is a stupid idea, but I'd be interested in related trials
>(sx in general, disk size records...).

	Well, at best you'd only be able to load a SUBSET of ODT on such
a notebook. ODT 1.0, not counting swap and user space, required 9.0 MB for
essential runtime, 13.2 MB for the extended utilities (the good stuff),
6.7 MB for networking services, 12.5 MB for windows, 2.4 MB for Merge and
32.0 (!) for Ingress. One can, of course, load subsets of these subsets.

	Don't know how 1.1 differs (we await our overdue first copy), but
I doubt it's any less. What you really need is something with the capacity
and functionality of Toshiba's 5200 in a notebook format. It doesn't exist
yet, but might by year's end.