ps -ef won't work !

uunet!bria!mike uunet!bria!mike
Sun Mar 3 07:08:30 AEST 1991

In an article, binary.UUCP!timd (Tim Daniels @ Binary Systems) writes:
>When I type ps -ef I get the error message /dev/swap can't open.
>Any clue as to how to fix this ? I am running SCO XENIX on a 286 and ps -ef
>worked just great yesterday. I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

/dev/swap should be a block device owned by sysinfo, with permissions
of 600.  Furthermore, your /bin/ps should be owned by sysinfo (group bin)
with permissions 4711.

My guess is that you either have a permissions problem (very easy to correct)
or you hosed /dev/swap (not quite so easy to fix -- without resorting to
a backup, you must grok the configuration files and mknod)

If you need more specific help, feel free to send me mail.
Cheers,
--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc., Los Angeles| Opinions stated are not even my own.
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike