Problem with NCSA 2.2/2.3b14 Telnet and SCO Xenix TCP/IP 1.0.1h

Bill Blue root at crash.cts.com
Mon Mar 18 13:50:11 AEST 1991

In <1991Mar13.191407.23820 at mccc.edu> shevett at mccc.edu (Dave Shevett) writes:
}In article <3868 at mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM> root at mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM (Mark J. Bailey) writes:
}=I am having a problem with Xenix TCP/IP that is about to drive me crazy!
}=I have SCO Xenix 2.3.3 running TCP/IP 1.0.1h.  I have a 386 DOS system that
}=is ethernetted to the Xenix system using WD8003e Ethercard Plus's.
}=but the login never shows up!  As a matter of fact, *ALL* of the packages
}=above except the Locus package just drop back out to the DOS prompt with
}=*NO* error messages.
}
}I have telnetted from my PC to the Xenix box, but you have to try it around
}20 times, and then it connects, but is a little flakey.
}
}This is an acknowledged bug in TCP/IP 1.0.1h from SCO.  I posted about it
}about a month and a half ago, and got 2 or 3 replies.  The seemingly
}correct one is to go grab my 1.0.0 controlled release of TCP/IP, and snarf
}the telnetd off it and install that.  Unfortunately, I'm down an ESDI
}controller at the moment, and have not had a chance to try this.
}
}NOTE - it only happens when gonig from a PC.  WIN/QVT, FTP Software, NCSA,
}the whole shebang (I have a Unix-pC with Wollongong TCP/IP on it, and that
}can log in fine).

I find that 2.2D NCSA Telnet works perfectly with SCO Xenix TCP/IP
1.0.1h on version 2.3.3 Xenix.  However, the beta version of 2.3
Telnet behaves as described above.  I have been suspicious that it is
due to the particular version of packet drivers (ne1000) that I am
using.  I'd really like to upgrade to 2.3 because of the Kermit-like
ability to redefine the keyboard (I really hope they carry it further
than they have so far, though).

Anyway, anyone know anything more about the login problem on 2.3?

--Bill