Problem with NCSA 2.2/2.3b14 Telnet and SCO Xenix TCP/IP 1.0.1h

Mark J. Bailey root at mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM
Sun Mar 10 06:13:13 AEST 1991

Hi,

I am having a problem with Xenix TCP/IP that is about to drive me crazy!
I have SCO Xenix 2.3.3 running TCP/IP 1.0.1h.  I have a 386 DOS system that
is ethernetted to the Xenix system using WD8003e Ethercard Plus's.  The
card is set on Interrupt 2, I/O Address 0x240, Mem Addres 0xD000.  I am
trying to use NCSA Telnet 2.2 and 2.3b14, WNQVTNET with Clarkson drivers,
and CMU PCIP with Clarkson drivers.  I did have an old copy of Locus TCP/IP
for MSDOS that I tried too.

What is happening is this.  I also have an SCO Unix System (ODT 1.0 which
is Unix 3.2.1) that contains TCP/IP 1.1 (SCO/Lachman).  If I go from the
dos system to the ODT/Unix system, everything is *PERFECT*!!!!!  BUT, when
i try to go from the DOS system to the Xenix system (using telnet), I get
the "header" from the Xenix system:

System V.2.3.3 XENIX (jcbmdpc.JOBSOFT.COM)

but the login never shows up!  As a matter of fact, *ALL* of the packages
above except the Locus package just drop back out to the DOS prompt with
*NO* error messages.  That is normal behavior when you logout from a telnet
session with the dos packages.  It is almost like the Xenix system is dropping
out before the login prompt comes up.  As I said the Locus package stays in
and you can login.  Another weird thing is that the NCSA/WNQVTNET programs
will work the *FIRST* time you telnet the xenix system after the xenix system
is newly booted.  If you try and open subseqeunt sessions with the one
successful one, they drop out before the login prompt as before.  Then if you
logout the one session, and try to connect back, it fails from then on.
Now, going from Unix-->Xenix and Xenix-->Unix works fine all the time.

What urks me the most is that I can't seem to get any type of output from
NCSA to tell me what is transpiring to the point xenix steps out.  The fact
that I get the remote system login header (above) tells me that it is likely
not refusing telnet.  The netstat -A on xenix shows sessions trying to start
from the dos machine, but they have gone TIME WAIT.  FTP from NCSA to Xenix
works flawlessly as does REXEC.  It is only the TELNET.

What gives?  What is in Unix (or that Unix does) that isn't in Xenix TCP/IP?
Why would the Locus TCP/IP stay on to login to xenix?  You might ask why
not use Locus, well, terminal emulation sucks.  It claims ANSI X3.64, but
is nowhere near entries in termcap.  As I said, it is a very old version.
What is it about the DOS programs that might kick them out?  If they didn't
give up, might they still be able to login?  For what it is worth, my
Xenix IP address is 192.9.150.100 and the DOS uses 192.9.150.200.

I have been told before that Xenix TCP/IP is very buggy - I agree!  I have
also been told by sales people at SCO the TCP/IP 1.2 for Unix/Xenix will
be out 2nd or 3rd quarter of 1991 (maybe around June/July).  I feel certain
that that will solve my problems.  However, in the meantime, what can I do
about Xenix TCP/IP 1.0.1h?  Is there some parameter tweaking on Xenix and/or
the DOS packages I can do to get it to work?  How can I get NCSA to be
verbose and tell me what it is doing up until it kicks back to DOS?

Questions, questions, questions!  :-)  I apologize for the long posting.
I have been struggling with this for a couple of weeks now.  I am beginning
to get a twitch!  :-)

Any help, advise, suggestions, and/or consolations would be very much
appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey, N4XHX                              _______/====X11====\_______
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 |         JobSoft         |