wierd things of Xenix 386, help!

Dave L. Smith dls at genco.bungi.com
Sun Mar 24 15:14:18 AEST 1991

In article <3874 at gmuvax2.gmu.edu> lshih at gmuvax2.UUCP (Lieh-Wen Shih) writes:
>Can anybody out there help with wierd problem about Xenix: after I
>built GNU make, did some 'doscp' and 'dosdir', my system became very
>wierd (at least to me!) as follows:
>
>	'ps' got a msg of "/dev/kmem can't open",
>	'df' got "/dev/root can't open",
>	'mkdir' got "can't create directory xxx", and
>	'rmdir' got "xxx not removed".
>
>Does anyone know what went wrong? and how to fix?  Any help is appreciated.
>
>levin

It sounds as if you may have run out of inodes (too many files).
There are a number of other possibilities, such as too many files
open, etc.

Do a 'df -i' to get inodes used.
Do a 'df -v' for verbose disk free information (after rebooting, of course).

Also, be careful about overfilling your drive.  It has happened to
me on 2 occasions, and you would not believe the consequences - the
entire partition was for all practical purposes destroyed.

Good luck,
Dave Smith