Stack Usage in 286 Xenix

Curt Sampson curt at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca
Sat Mar 9 07:08:37 AEST 1991

I've got a few questions about stack usage in 286 Xenix.  Is there any
way to get an idea of how much stack a program will use other than going
though it and figureing out how many local variables and function calls
are going to be used?  I've got a hardcopy manual page for stackuse(CP),
which is supposed to do this, in my 2.3.2 release, but neither the
binary itself, its libraries or the manual page is on line.

As well, is there any way to change the default stack allocation of a
binary, or even tell what it is currently allocated to?  Or am I stuck
recompling with the cc's -F option?  If I do have to use cc, can I just
relink the object files with -F <number> or do I have to recompile from
the source?

One last question.  Why are the 8086 and 386 stacks variable but the 286
stack fixed?

cjs

curt at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca          | "Sometimes it's like a party you go to where
curt at cynic.uucp                  | there are no lights and everyone is doing
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!cynic!curt | animal impressions." -Phillip Evans on usenet