Print Screen advice, anyone???

W. Paul Zola paulz at sco.COM
Thu Mar 21 00:25:12 AEST 1991

In article <568 at genco.bungi.com> dls at genco.bungi.com (Dave L. Smith) writes:
}I have asked this question at least twice now, with no response.
}If anyone knows the answer, I would be forever indebted to them, etc.
}
}What I would like to have is something like the DOS print screen,
}for the Xenix console.  Sounds pretty simple, but no one seems to know.
}
}Thanks.
}Dave Smith

The following article from the SCO Information Tools database should help
with your problem.   I'm posting because I think this may be of general
interest.

################## cut here ################ cut here ##################

Does SCO XENIX support a console 'printscreen' capability?

KEYWORDS: screen print dump console xenix 2.2 dumpscreen printscreen

RELEASE:   SCO XENIX System V Operating System Generic

PROBLEM:   Does SCO XENIX support a console 'printscreen' capability?
	   Also, how can I get a dump of the console screen?

SOLUTION:  Yes, SCO XENIX System V Operating System does support a console
	   'printscreen' capability which allows a console screen dump. This
	   capability was introduced in SCO XENIX Operating System Release 2.2.
	   This function is not accessed with the 'PrtSc' key as it is under
	   MS-DOS.  Instead, it uses an escape sequence that causes the screen
	   driver to take the contents of the console screen as input.

           Below is a program that uses this escape sequence to take the input
	   from the screen driver and redirect it to the standard output. The
	   program file should look like the following:

		:
		#       Bourne shell script to write the screen
		#       to standard output.
		#
		#       scr_dump > file
		#       scr_dump | lp
		#
		#       are good examples of how to use this.

		S=`stty -g`
		stty -echo ixon
		/bin/echo '\033[2i' 1>&2
		cat - | head -24
		stty $S

		# ----------end of file-------------

           If the file were named "scr_dump," then to print the console
	   screen the following command would be issued:

		scr_dump | lp

	   The following command can be given to capture the console
	   screen to a file:

		scr_dump > file

I hope this helps you with your problem.

-
Paul Zola			Software Support Engineer
				paulz at sco.COM
Gotta tend the earth if you want a rose.  - Emily Saliers
    DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself, and not for SCO.