SCO Xenix w/ Excelan Workplace DOS tnvt220, how do they mix?

Daniel Wynalda danielw at wyn386.mi.org
Tue Mar 19 08:18:42 AEST 1991

I am using SCO Xenix 2.3.2 w/ Excelan Workplace on a 205T ethernet
card.  I also have the DOS version of Excelan's workplace and have
for some time.  Mostly I've used this setup for ftp'ing files off
the Xenix machines.

I've recently run into two problems I can't seem to resolve.  The
first is that I can't get a GOOD termcap/terminal program emulation
matchup.  It seems like all entries are not good matches in one way or
another.  I can't seem to find a good way to set them up.  Does anyone
on the network use this setup at all?  I would really like to set
termcap to vt220, vt100, vt52, or ansi and have it work normally when
I setup the terminal program to use telnet over the network.  I haven't
been able to get a good matchup.  Usually the arrow keys don't work
right, or lose characters, or something sporatic (wrong # of lines on
screen etc).  Any help would be appreciated.

My second problem is regarding PRINTING to a printer on a Xenix machine
from a DOS machine.  If I have programs in DOS that can print to a FILE
then I can use the PRINT command and get a copy over the network without
a problem.  My problem is that many DOS programs want a printer to be
on LPT1:, PRN:, or COM1: etc but DON'T want to print to a file.  Is
there a TSR program anyone has that could trap data sent to LPT1 or COM1
and then drop it in a file?  Any help would be appreciated.

--
Daniel Wynalda       | (616) 866-1561 X22 Ham:N8KUD Net:danielw at wyn386.mi.org
Wynalda Litho Inc.   | 8221 Graphic Industrial Pk. | Rockford, MI  49341