Bugs

mike.stefanik mike at bria.UUCP
Sun May 5 07:39:40 AEST 1991

In an article, jallen at eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Joseph Allen) writes:
>I seem to remember that there's supposed to be a SCO uucp site.  Are these
>fixes there, and if so, how do I contact the site?

[ excerpt from sosco!/usr/spool/uucppublic/info ]

UUCP Connection information:

Machine name: sosco

Phone numbers: (408) 425-3502 (2 lines, 300-9600 baud V.32 standard)
               (408) 429-1786 (9600 baud Telebit)

Login name: uusls   (fourth character is the letter "l" rather than numeral "1")
No password

Below is a list of the Support Level Supplements available for UUCP
request in the directory /usr/spool/uucppublic/SLS.  The files ending
in .Z have been reduced in size using the SCO XENIX compress(C) utility.
These files must first be unpacked using uncompress(C).  Files ending
in .ltr are the cover letters and installation instructions for
the corresponding Supplements.  The cover letters assume you have
received the Supplements on diskette.  To install a Supplement, you
must first transfer it to a diskette using this procedure:

    1. Request UUCP to transfer to your system the SLS file and cover
       letter file for the desired supplement.  When issuing the UUCP
       command, do not use wildcards or the ~ (tilde) character, as
       they will result in a "PERMISSION DENIED" error message.  Also,
       be sure that the user "uucp" has write permission on the destination
       file and directory, and UUCP is allowed access to the destination
       directory by your local /usr/lib/uucp/Permissions file.

    2. Expand the files if necessary using uncompress(C), or
       compress -u.

    3. Format a diskette that is large enough to contain the
       supplement file.

    4. Use the dd(C) command to transfer the supplement file to the
       diskette.  For example, if the supplement file is "xnx102" and
       is in the /usr/spool/uucppublic directory on your system, and
       the diskette is a 5.25-inch, 360K, the command would be:

           dd if=/usr/spool/uucppublic/xnx102 of=/dev/fd048ds9

        Substitute the appropriate device name for "/dev/fd048ds9" if
        transferring to a diskette of another capacity.  However, always
        use the block device.  The diskette must be formatted using
        the format(C) command before the data can be transferred.

     5. Follow the installation instructions given in the cover letter file.

--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc, Los Angeles | Opinions stated are never realistic
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike