SCO UNIX cpio - no, use afio

Paul Slootman slootman at dri.nl
Mon May 27 18:39:21 AEST 1991

chip at chinacat.unicom.com (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>In article <1067 at dri500.dri.nl> slootman at dri.nl (Paul Slootman) writes:
>>In article <1991May23.115825.47879 at cc.usu.edu> sl3h7 at cc.usu.edu writes:
>>>How to get standard cpio package that will verify multiple tape backup?
>>get afio.

>Agreed.  I decided to use afio for backups for two reasons:  it supports
>multiple volumes nicely (which cpio did not do at the time) and it
>screams. ...
[deleted]

>The afio I use has two hacks.  First, there is a problem in the
>distributed version that if your archive contains both a directory
>and a file within that directory, if the file is restored first (e.g.
[deleted]
>Second, I didn't like the way
>the verbose option listed everything upon a restore - I only wanted
>it to list the files actually restored off the archive.
[deleted]

I also added two hacks: First, I added glob-style pattern matching
to selectively restore files, second, I added an option that shows
the filenames that actually get restored in standout. (That is, if
stdout is a tty - I get the output of tput smso and tput rmso; else
I precede the filename with "extracting: ". I know tput isn't portable,
it was just a quickie for local use.)

>Now that I have the XENIX box on the network...I'll have to see how
>well afio holds up for network backups!  ... [deleted]

Telling afio to use rcmd instead of rsh is the only thing that needs
to be changed. It works great across the network here.

BTW, what is the latest version of afio? This is (was?) mine:
	$Header: afio.c,v 1.68 86/12/15 13:07:11 mdb Exp $

Perhaps this discussion should be followed up in some .source.d
group?

Paul.