C-News ?

Tim Kuehn timk at wynnds.xenitec.on.ca
Wed May 1 07:38:07 AEST 1991

In article <41 at hlthnt.UUCP> sginn at hlthnt.UUCP (Steve Ginn) writes:
>I am still very new at programming and have run across the following
>problem when trying to compile (using doit.bin) C-News under Xenix 2.3.1
>
>I get the following errors and the associated file (I believe)
>follows as well.
>
>P.S.  If anyone by chance happens to have successfully compiled
>C-News under Xenix 2.3.1 - 2.3.3, I would appreciate any suggestions
>concerning its setup, since the Docs have very little specific
>information for Xenix owners.

I have Cnews running under Xenix 2.3.3 here, and love it to pieces.

>Also, I would appreciate hearing anything concerning C-News from
>Xenix owners, either Pro or Con.

There's not enough I can say Pro Cnews, and very little con, except
for some of the install notes could be clearer. HOWEVER - for a SW pkg
that's as system independant as Cnews is, that's no big deal. You just
need to know what you're doing (or find someone who does :-))

>The following is the beginning of the error messages I received
>upon running "doit.bin"

>+make u COPTS=-O
>	cc -O -I../include -c warning.c
>warning.c (30): error C2143: syntax error: missing ';' before ';'
>*** Error code 2

[source code line:]
>30		fprintf(stderr, "(%s)", strerror(saverrno));

The reason for this is a rather bizzarre macro for strerror() in
/usr/include/string.h which looks like:

#define strerror(err)	( sys_errlist[err] );
				       	    ^
It's this ";" that your compiler's hitting. Easiest fix? Tell "build" you
don't have strerror.

>I know this is probably too easy for most, but as I said, I am just
>trying to learn!  Thanks!

If you (or any other xenix'ers out there) need the files created by
build (doit.root, doit.bin, doit.news, again.root), email me. If there's
enough requests I'll post them to the net. (It's only ~15K all told)

WARNING! There is a bug in the compiler when doing the "dbz" libararies,
which you have to take out of the doit.bin file. Do NOT compile the
dbz stuff with optimization on (COPTS=-O). Remove references to
"COPTS=-O" (replace it with "COPTS=") when building the dbz progs.
Otherwise you'll run into trouble! (This will require manual editing of
the doit.bin file each time you create it.)