AST EightPort/XN

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Sun May 26 10:16:04 AEST 1991

I have access to a pair of these boards and SCO Xenix 2.3.2, but the driver
AST supplies is only compatable with SCO Xenix 2.2.x.  I tried installing the
driver under SCO Xenix/386 2.3.2 and the installation script gave me a nasty
gram saying that it will only work SCO Xenix 2.2.x (both 286 and 386).  I have
tar'ed off the install disk and it does have some source files.  Any ideas or
it it just a trivial matter to recompile the EightPort/XN driver to work
under Xenix 2.3.x?  I just want to get it up and running under Xenix 2.3.2
for testing purposes.  My main goal is to get it to run under ISC Unix.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Also, a colleague of mine did call AST
regarding other drivers for the EightPort/XN, and the tech support rep he got
ahold of told him that the SCO Xenix 2.2.x (which also works under IBM Xenix
2.0) is the only driver that was ever produced for the EightPort/XN.  Since
the EightPort/XN is an intelligent board with an onboard 80188 with its own
onboard memory, I know that FAS won't work.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca