Can someone tell me what I have?

j chapman flack chap at art-sy.detroit.mi.us
Fri May 10 15:52:12 AEST 1991

A neighborhood cultural and media center recently received, as a donation, a
Tandy 6000 HD with Tandy Xenix 3.2, proFile 16, Scripsit, multiplan,
and some accounting (GL, A/R, etc.) software, and two terminals.

My question: what do they have here?

The 6000 itself seems like an interesting design for 1984...dual processors,
it uses a 68000 with a Z-80 dedicated to managing the I/O bus.  It has at
least a meg of RAM, a whopping 15 MB of slow hard disk, and one EIGHT-inch
single-sided floppy.

The hard disk interface seems to be ST506, so it would be electrically
compatible with newer hard drives if driver support could be worked out.

Is anyone familiar with this system?  What is the most current Xenix that
might run on the hardware?  Does anyone have leads on hardware/software for
it?  Is there an ABI such that other 68000/Xenix apps might run?

It seems like they should use the gizmo for something, at least for
educational purposes (they do offer classes in various things to residents
of this <fairly-hard-hit> neighborhood).  The hardware is
perfectly functional, Xenix is a perfectly reasonable OS, but these
vintage-1984 applications are very primitive.  It would be neat to find
other 68k/Xenix S/W that would run.

Thanks for any and all responses!
--
Chap Flack                         Their tanks will rust.  Our songs will last.
chap at art-sy.detroit.mi.us                                   -Mikos Theodorakis

Nothing I say represents Appropriate Roles for Technology unless I say it does.