Weitek in SCO UNIX, how?

W. Paul Zola paulz at sco.COM
Tue May 7 11:51:18 AEST 1991

In article <1991May03.093331.15473 at lut.fi> lensu at lut.fi (Anssi Lensu) writes:
}
}Hello everybody,
}
}Could someone who has been using Weitek coprocessors with SCO UNIX help me
}in configuring the processor. What do I need to do to use it in UNIX?
}Can it be used with normal UNIX programs or do I need a special compiler
}which can make Weitek specific code?
}
[deleted]

The following article from the SCO Information Tools database should help
with your problem.   I'm posting because I think this may be of general
interest.

################## cut here ################ cut here ##################

Does SCO UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2.0 support Weitek coprocessors?

KEYWORDS:  weitek coprocessor math 3.2.0   unix

RELEASE:   SCO UNIX System V/386 Operating System Release 3.2.0

PROBLEM:   Does SCO UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2.0 support Weitek
	   coprocessors?  Does the SCO XENIX System V Development
	   System create code that utilizes them?

SOLUTION:  Yes, SCO UNIX does run binaries that were compiled to
	   use a Weitek coprocessor.  However, currently the SCO
	   XENIX System V Development System does not have a way
	   of creating code to use a Weitek.  It is a feature under
	   consideration for a future release.  Thus, currently the
	   Weitek coprocessor is only used by SCO UNIX if the program
	   was a compiled by a product that will create Weitek code.

	   In order for the Weitek chip to be recognized, one file
	   needs to be edited in the following way:

	     In the file /etc/conf/sdevice.d/weitek, there should be
	     one line:

		  weitek N 1 0 0 ...

             Change the "N" (for no) to a "Y" (for yes).

	     Issue the following command to relink the UNIX kernel:

		  cd /etc/conf/cf.d
		  ./link_unix

             Answer "yes" when asked if this kernel should boot by
	     default; answer "yes" again to rebuild the kernel
	     environment.

	     Reboot the machine; the Weitek chip will be recognized.

I hope this helps you with your problem.

-
Paul Zola			Support Technical Lead, Operating System
				paulz at sco.COM
Gotta tend the earth if you want a rose.  - Emily Saliers
    DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself, and not for SCO.