Need assistance with afio problem.

Ken Seefried iii ken at dali.cc.gatech.edu
Tue May 28 04:13:45 AEST 1991

In article <447 at yonder.UUCP> michael at yonder.UUCP (Michael E. Haws) writes:

>It is my impression that you are suggesting that I never keep compressed
>data on my hard disk, since this data would be subject to the same
>potential problem when trying to recover it from a tape archive.  Or have
>I missed something?

Single and multi-bit media errors are several orders of
magnatude more likely on tapes than on hard disks.  You
will have to forgive me for not being able to quote chapter
and verse, but as I remember (and my memory is quite foggy,
forgive me), the figures are something like 1 bit in 10^7
for tape media and 1 bit in 10^9 for hard disks.  Perhaps
someone with better (and more recent) data will care to
speak up.

Obviously there is some risk for both media, but the risk
is vastly smaller for hard disks.

--

	ken seefried iii	"I'll have what the gentleman
	ken at dali.cc.gatech.edu	 on the floor is having..."