Node name for Xenix 2.3.3

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.co.uk
Wed May 1 21:28:44 AEST 1991

michaelb at wshb.csms.com ( WSHB Operations Eng) writes:

> The new package required that the node name be set in the kernal.
> I tried using /usr/sys/conf/configure to add the node name, but something
> broke and configure died doing some kind of assembly. I found that an entry
> for node name of wshb was in /usr/sys/conf/xenixconf, but wasn't  sure
> that was the only change which needed to occur.

Yeah, configure doesn't like nodenames less than 5 characters long.
Anyone know if this is "fixed in the next release" ?

> After such a frustrating time I looked around the directory and noticed
> a makefile.
  [ he ran this OK then ]
> After this I ran link_xenix. Well, the new kernal is about 85K smaller the the
> old kernal. I can't see what's missing.

Nothing's missing.  There's two ways that you can make your kernel, and
using the C compiler results in a stuff going into BSS that would go
into DATA if you didn't.  If you don't use the C Compiler, configure
(or actually config) is used to generate assembly files, and a mini
assembler (/usr/lib/storel) is used to assemble them.  If you use the
C compiler, configure is used to generate C files instead of assembler files.

If you're making a root/boot floppy, using a kernel that's made with "make"
rather than "link_xenix" is much better because it's a lot smaller and
that gives you room to put more useful programs on the floppy.

Yes, the nodename is compiled/assembled into the kernel.

Don't worry, be happy.
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald at robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)