9600 Baud modems and V.42bis

Joe Foster 6600joef at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
Mon May 13 12:52:07 AEST 1991

In article <1991May10.003348.5812 at cs.umn.edu> mikula at umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Tim L. Mikula) writes:

>I have XENIX 2.3.3 and would like to install a MultiTech
>9600 baud modem with V.42bis data compression. According
>to SCO, XENIX can only talk to a modem at speeds up to
>9600. But, to get a speedup from the data compression in
>my modem, I will have to communicate with my modem at
>19.2 or 38.4 Has anyone solved this problem?

>Also my modem connections use error correcting modems.
>I have used kermit, but the error correction built into
>the transmission reduces the effect of the data
>compression. Is there a better program available
>where error correction can be turned off when used
>with today's smarter modems?

>Without solutions to these problems, 9600 baud and
>error correcting modems will not benefit XENIX users
>very much.

>Thanks, Tim Mikula (mikula at cs.umn.edu)

I don't know about programs that can take advantage of youy modem's
error correcting abilities (I just use cu and uucp), but I have used
baud rates of "19200" and "38400" within my /usr/lib/uucp/Devices file. These
settings map to the EXTA and EXTB stty arguments. So far, I only have the
standard PC serial ports COM1 and COM2 (/dev/tty1A and /dev/tty2A). The
modem (a ViVa 9642e) does report carrier at 9600 and connection (between
the modem and my computer) at 38400 baud. But then again, I haven't installed
the SLS that, among other things, munges uucp machine names. If you are
using error-control modems, using uuencode, uudecode, and cu's put and
take commands work pretty well. At least, it ends up being faster than
Kermit!!! I would prefer ZMODEM, though.

						Joe Foster
						6600joef at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu