UUCP over TCP/IP under SCO Xenix 2.3.2

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Sat May 11 04:55:26 AEST 1991

In article <6361 at vela.acs.oakland.edu> srodawa at vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) writes:
> In article <_I5B8V7 at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >In article <1991May7.203740.9416 at tygra.Michigan.COM> jp at tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) writes:
> >> Has anyone successfully gotten HDB UUCP to carry on a conversation
> >> over a TCP/IP link??

> >Yes.

> You are just whetting our appetites!  How did you do it?

I followed the cookbook instructions that came with the Excelan TCP/IP
package. It's quite a nice package, though people used to classic BSD TCP/IP
will be a trifle freaked out by it: it does everything the System V way,
down to having inittab entries for all the rlogin ports (which means you
can't rlogin to a system without providing a login and password).

What they do is have a specific virtual terminal, ttyT64, that has a
deamon listening to it. That deamon sees an open and accepts a system name,
then establishes an rlogin to that system and sits there handling packets.
You could bash something like this together with Bernstein's PTY package
or expect in an afternoon.

How SCO or anyone else wants to do it, I don't know. They might well have
their own ttyT64 equivalent.
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"