Are the floating point routines on my machine broken?

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Wed Dec 31 10:28:41 AEST 1986

> ... Is roundup considered acceptable
> behavior for floating point routines?  Or am I somehow misinterpreting
> the problem?

The precise details of rounding are very machine-dependent and you are
not entitled to make assumptions about them.  Don't forget that there is
rounding in the additions as well as in the representation of "0.2".  It
is a grave mistake to use floating-point arithmetic to control a loop which
has to iterate an exact number of times.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology